Never wonder if a shuttle is coming again.
Recent PostsSee All
It took about three weeks, but I finished the move to Core Data for the iOS shuttle tracker app. Core Data uses a database, SQLite by default, to store data; the move will allow the app to scale to more shuttles, routes and stops with ease. Data now persists between runs of the application, and taking advantage of this to reduce data consumption is in the cards.
I started improving the Shuttle Tracker iOS app, armed with the iOS experience I have acquired since writing it. For a few critical reasons, I decided to recreate the program's XCode project. I was able to put in some improvements by doing so:
- iPhone and iPad code paths are different by only a few lines now. Improving both at the same time will be easier in the future.
- The project is in much better shape to move to automatic reference counting in the future
- I have started working in Core Data based storage, rather than flat arrays. This will cut out a lot of unnecessary copying of data structures.
I have also noticed that the Mobile Shuttle Tracker is on a list of open source iOS apps, and I believe we got our first fork on github because of this.
We are all up and running with the standard ruby version of the shuttle tracker. We've also got all our version control procedures set, and branches created. This week, we figured out how users are created and set up accounts to admin the server. This week will be spent continuing to learn ruby and the rails framework to better understand the current code.